§ The following persons shall be the University of Oxford Commissioners:
- The Right Honourable Viscount Chelmsford, G.C.S.I., G.C.M.G., G.C.I.E., G.B.E., Master of Arts;
- The Right Reverend Thomas Banks, Lord Bishop of Ripon, G.B.E., Doctor of Divinity;
- The Honourable Sidney Cornwallis Peel, Master of Arts;
- Sir Archibald Edward Garrod, K.C.M.G., Doctor of Medicine, Fellow of the Royal Society, Regius Professor of Medicine;
- David George Hogarth, Esquire, C.M.G., Doctor of Letters;
- Francis William Pember, Esquire, Doctor of Civil Law, Warden of All Souls College.
- The Reverend Francis John Lys, Master of Arts, Provost of Worcester College;
- Percy Ewing Matheson, Esquire, Master of Arts; and
- Albert Mansbridge, Esquire, Honorary Master of Arts; and
- A woman to be appointed by the Board of Education; and one additional man.
§ The PRESIDENT of the BOARD of EDUCATION (Mr. Edward Wood)
I beg to move, after the word "Letters" ["Doctor of Letters"], to insert the wordsEmily Penrose, O.B.E., Master of Arts, Principal of Somerville College.Those who were able to take part in the Committee discussion upstairs will remember that it was decided to add the name of a woman to the Commissioners in each case, and also a man who would be able to look after the interests of the staff of the University. In that sense this Amendment is rather in the nature of a drafting proposal. I have been at some pains to ascertain names which would be generally held to fulfil those requirements which hon. Members had in view, and I confidently submit this name to the Committee.
§ Amendment agreed to.
Further Amendments made: After the word "and" ["Percy Ewing Matheson, Esquire, Master of Arts; and"] insert the words
Charles Robert Mowbray Fraser Cruttwell, Master of Arts, Dean, Tutor, and Lecturer of Hertford College.
Leave out the words
A woman to be appointed by the Board of Education; and one additional man."—[Mr. Wood.]