HC Deb 22 June 1922 vol 155 cc1508-9

asked the Minister of Labour if he is aware that under the Unemployed Workers (Dependants) Act, 1921, a man living with a woman who is not his wife may claim an allowance for her, and that a son, single but a householder, who keeps his widowed mother, cannot claim any allowance; and will he take steps to remedy this state of affairs?

The MINISTER of LABOUR (Dr. Macnamara)

A widower or unmarried man, who is drawing unemployment benefit, may claim the 5s. allowance for a housekeeper residing with and maintained by him for the purpose of looking after his dependent children, or for a woman who is, and has been, living with him as his wife, but not for any other person. These provisions represent the decision of Parliament on this matter, and I am not prepared to propose any alteration.