HC Deb 25 March 1919 vol 114 cc219-20
60 and 67. Colonel ASHLEY

asked the President of the Local Government Board (1) whether, in the case of the assistant sanitary and water inspector appointed the week before last by the Oswestry Town Council, the council took steps to circulate particulars of the post which was vacant through the Labour Exchange Bureaux throughout the country so that ex-Service men might have the opportunity of applying; (2) whether he is aware that the week before last the Oswestry Town Council appointed as assistant sanitary and water inspector for the borough a young man from Hyde, in Lancashire, thirty years of age, who had been exempted from military service during the War; whether he is also aware that several ex-Service men resident in the locality applied for the post, of unimpeachable character and with experience; and will he state what steps he proposes to take to see that the legitimate claims of men who have served their country are preferred in such appointmnts to men who have never served and who were catalogued as indispensable while compulsory military service was in force?


I have communicated with the town council of Oswestry, and they inform me that an advertisment was inserted in the local and other papers circulating among the class of men required, and twenty-six applications were received. The whole of the applications were carefully gone through by the Water Committee who were unanimous in their desire to give the preference to a demobilised or discharged soldier, who was qualified to fill the appointment; but, after carefully considering each application and the accompanying testimonials, they felt that they could not do other than make the recommendation they did.

Colonel ASHLEY

May I ask why it was when the Chairman of the Local Labour Bureau asked the Mayor to circularise the vacancy through his Bureau and other Labour Bureaux throughout the country and asking ex-Service men to apply, the Mayor did not even answer the question, and will the hon. Gentleman communicate with the town council and ask, as I understand the man appointed has withdrawn, if they will now give the preference to an ex-Service man?


I will communicate with them on the point raised by my hon. Friend.