HC Deb 18 November 1918 vol 110 c3168

asked the Food Controller whether the condition on which farmers are allowed to use 20 per cent. of the barley grown on their farms is that the remaining 80 per cent. must be supplied to maltsters and brewers; if not, what are the conditions laid down for the disposal of barley; and is its use in bread now to be treated as an offence against the Defence of the Realm Act?


The answer to the first part of the question is in the negative. On application to a grain officer a farmer may obtain release of 20 per cent. of his threshings of barley or the whole of his damaged barley tailings, screenings, and dressings, whichever is the greater, on condition that the balance is sold either to a licensed manufacturer or to a recognised dealer in grain. Millers will not purchase further quantities of home-grown barley for use in the manufacture of G.R. flour, but will use up their present holdings.