HC Deb 19 October 1916 vol 86 c725

asked the Secretary to the Admiralty what is the amount of separation allowance which can be granted to the parent of a boy under the training service regulations and, where an allotment of 2s. a week has been made by a boy, what is the maximum separation allowance which can be paid; and, if the sum be 1s. a week, will he take steps to have the sum increased in view of its inadequacy in cases where a larger loss is being suffered by the parent owing to the enlistment of the son?


The boys to whom my hon. Friend alludes normally can only allot 2s. a week, and the Admiralty has no power to pay separation allowance in excess of half that amount. The payment is subject to proof of the parent's dependence on the boy prior to his entry, and it is usually found in these cases that if dependence existed at all the degree of dependence was very small. In exceptional cases, when the loss sustained is not covered by the separation allowance and allotment combined, the Statutory Committee is empowered to grant relief by means of a supplementary allowance.

46. Mr. HOGGE

asked the Prime Minister whether the rates of pension allowances for men, widows, and dependants of men classified under B and C of Army Form W 3291 are the same as for men on general service?


Yes, Sir.