HC Deb 04 January 1916 vol 77 cc810-1

(by private Notice:) I beg to ask the Minister of Munitions if he is in a position to state in what way he proposes to give effect to the agreement come to with the Amalgamated Society of Engineers on the subject of dilution of skilled labour and the remuneration of unskilled and partially skilled men?


In order to give effect to the agreement to which my hon. Friend refers, I propose to move a new Clause, enabling the Ministry of Munitions to give directions with respect to the wages and conditions of employment of unskilled labour brought in to supplement or replace skilled labour in controlled establishments. Copies of the proposed new Clause have been sent to all Members by post, and copies are also available in the Vote Office. Owing to the Adjournment, it has not been possible to place this Amendment on the Order Paper. I should like to ask your ruling, Mr. Speaker, as to whether, under the circumstances, by consent, I can move this new Clause, or whether it will be necessary to move to recommit the Bill for this purpose, either before or after the Report stage of the rest of the Bill has been taken?


I do not think the Clause can be moved on the Report stage. Being a new Clause, notice of it must be given, and it should appear in print with the other Amendments. It is open to the right hon. Gentleman to move to recommit the Bill, either before we commence proceedings on the Report stage or at the conclusion of those proceedings. If he moves that the Bill be recommitted in order to insert this particular Clause, the discussion will be limited to the Clause, and when the House goes into Committee the Clause can be moved and inserted if thought fit.