HC Deb 04 March 1915 vol 70 c958

asked the President of the Local Government Board whether he will take such steps as are necessary in order that when persons register the births of children they shall be apprised that in the event of the father of the child being abroad its mother is legally entitled to make the declaration of conscientious objection to vaccination if she wishes so to do?


The form of notice of the requirement of vaccination is already addressed to "the father, or mother, or other person having the custody of the child," and the form of declaration of objection to vaccination refers to "the parent [or person having the custody] of" the child. In these circumstances, it does not seem necessary to modify the forms now in use, but I am proposing to send a Circular to the vaccination officers making it clear that, in the absence of the father, the mother is qualified to make the declaration, as was stated by the Home Secretary in his answer to a question by the hon. Member on the 22nd February.


Will the right hon. Gentleman make this point clear in the Circular, that it will not be necessary for the father to be abroad, as he may be serving with the Colours in any part of the United Kingdom, and that the mother in that case may make the declaration?


Yes, Sir.