HC Deb 11 November 1912 vol 43 cc1708-10
32. Mr. NEWMAN

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether his attention has been called to the fact that the North Camberwell Radical Club, of 352, St. James's Road, Old Kent Road, held on the 26th ultimo a boxing gala on their premises, at which two well-known professional boxers were advertised to appear; that in consequence of this and similar proceedings complaints have been received by the police from residents in the neighbourhood; and will he say what action he intends to take in the matter?


My attention has not been drawn to this, and the Commissioner of Police informs me that nothing is known to the police of the boxing gala referred to, or of any similar proceedings; and they have received no complaints on the subject.


Is it legal for any club to have a boxing gala if it wants?


That question should be addressed to the Law Officers of the Crown.

33. Mr. NEWMAN

asked the Home Secretary whether his attention has been called to the variety concert entertainments which are advertised to take place on Sunday mornings and evenings on the premises of Liberal and Progressive clubs in London and district; whether he is aware that, in the issue of the 26th ultimo of a journal known as "Club Life," the Walthamstow Liberal Club advertised that it had made an entire change of brewers and was providing for Sunday afternoon a star dramatic turn entitled "A Snug Little Kingdom," and that on the same date the Hackney Liberal Club advertised a continuation of their light ning variety programmes for Sunday morning and evening, and the Central Finsbury Radical Club a continuous Sunday variety entertainment; whether such clubs are fully licensed for dancing and music on Sundays and week-days; and, if so, will he say what is the annual cost of such licence?


I understand that concerts and entertainments take place in many working men's clubs in the metropolis on Sundays, admission being restricted to members and their friends. This is the case at the three clubs named, and, in these circumstances, the clubs are, I am advised, not required to take out the licences applicable to places kept for public dancing and music and other public entertainments of the like kind.


Can these entertainments go on all night or is an hour fixed when they have to stop?


I should have to have notice of any question of that kind.


Has the right hon. Gentleman received any communication from the local Free Church Council on the subject?


I must have notice of that question.


Has the right hon. Gentleman's attention been called to the fact that the hon. Gentleman who puts the question took part in a Primrose League gathering in his constituency, and that his speech was sandwiched in between a tightrope performance and a comic song?