HC Deb 18 March 1912 vol 35 cc1532-3

asked whether, in London and some other towns, the powers of the overseers as to relief of the poor have been transferred to the borough and town councils, either by a transfer of such powers or by making the council the overseers; if so, what are the names of the towns; to whom should application be made and by whom can the relief be given; whether the council can by resolution empower the town clerk or any other of its officers, or a committee of the council, to grant relief, or must each application be dealt with by the whole council; and what are the powers of relief transferred?


Apart from the Metropolitan borough councils, I am not aware that any municipal authority has the powers of overseers with respect to the giving of poor relief. The powers in question are extremely limited, as will be seen from Section 54 of the Poor Law Amendment Act, 1834, and it may be doubted whether in the Metropolis, where the Poor Law is very completely organised, these powers are of any substantial value or could be practically utilised.