HC Deb 08 November 1911 vol 30 cc1665-6

asked the Under-Secretary of State for War whether only enrolled members of the Territorial Forces are allowed to play in Territorial bands; if so, whether this regulation rules out members of the Territorial Reserve or the Veteran Reserve; and whether he is aware that the 1st H.C. Field Company, Royal Engineers, Eastbourne, have, or had recently, six unenrolled members in the band, four of whom had never been Territorials, the remaining two being retired?

Colonel SEELY

Only musicians who are enlisted in a corps are permitted to perform in the band of the unit to which they belong, and instructions to make this clear were issued in September last. These instructions would permit men who have re-engaged for service in the Territorial Force Reserve to perform in the band, but not men of the National Reserve. I have no information regarding the last part of the question.

Forward to