HC Deb 11 April 1911 vol 24 cc245-6

asked the Secretary to the Treasury whether he is aware that foreign countries do not permit British subjects living in their respective countries who have taken their motor cars to England for use during a short stay to take those motor cars back to their foreign residences without paying a tax for doing so, although foreign motor cars, whether new or old, are allowed access to this country without taxation; and whether he will make representations to foreign countries concerned to remedy this state of things?


I have no information with regard to the effect of the fiscal arrangements of the different foreign countries in the cases referred to, but unless—and I do not understand from the question that this is alleged—they differentiate between British and other residents in the respective countries to the disadvantage of the former, I do not see on what ground diplomatic representations could be based. In any case the question of making such representations would be one for consideration by my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs upon complaint by the parties aggrieved rather than for the Treasury.