HC Deb 24 March 1899 vol 69 c323

I beg to ask the Lord Advocate if the Secretary for Scotland will state how it is proposed to provide for the maintenance of the bridges and minor roads and footpaths in congested districts referred to on page 6 of the Board's Report?


I am informed by the Congested Districts Board that if such roads are fit for wheel traffic, and receive a grant, an engagement is made with the county council to take them over, and keep them in repair like any public road in the county. In the case of footpaths, a similar engagement is made with the parish council, under section 29 of the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1894.