HC Deb 10 June 1898 vol 58 c1303
SIR E. LAWRENCE (Cornwall, Truro)

I beg to ask the Financial Secretary to the War Office whether his attention has been called to the fact that, while an infantry field officer is allowed travelling expenses to camp or to inspection out of camp, no allowance is sanctioned for the railway fare of his horse, which is a necessary portion of his equipment?


It is presumed this Question refers to field officers of Volunteer infantry. The travelling allowances authorised by the Volunteer regulations are corps allowances to enable the cops to defray the cost of conveyance of men, horses, and stores to and from camp, inspection and battalion drill.