HC Deb 08 March 1897 vol 47 cc193-4
COLONEL DENNY (Kilmarnock Burghs)

I beg to ask the Under Secretary of State for War if an officer in the Volunteer force has a right to call for a Court of Inquiry, in the event of his services being dispensed with, or being requested to resign his commission?


A Court of Inquiry may be convened by the Officer Commanding any body of troops to take and report evidence when an investigation of facts appears to him desirable. Such a court has no judicial power, and can express no opinion on the conduct of any officer or soldier. No officer of any section of Her Majesty's forces has the right to demand a Court of Inquiry.