HC Deb 02 July 1897 vol 50 c975

I beg to ask the Secretary to the Treasury if it is true that the Treasury have received an offer from an English Railway Company for the purchase of the Waterford Dungarvan and Lismore Railway; and, if true, whether the offer has been accepted?


Yes, Sir, we have received an offer from an English and Irish Railway Company. I do not know whether the hon. Member objects to the employment of English capital in Ireland. The offer of an Irish Railway Company was, as he knows, declined on the ground that it might not prove of advantage to the district; and I believe that that refusal was generally approved in the district. The negotiations with the company mentioned in the question are still pending.