HC Deb 25 January 1897 vol 45 c396
DR. FARQUHARSON (Aberdeenshire, W.)

I beg to ask the Lord Advocate whether a parish councillor in Scotland who has ceased to reside in the district which he represents, whose name is off the electoral roll, and who no longer pays rates, is entitled to retain his seat until the next election?


The point raised by the hon. Member's question is one which can only be decided after trial in a court of law. Any opinion which I might now give would necessarily be ineffectual, as it would neither qualify nor disqualify the parish Councillor supposed. I must therefore decline to advise the hon. Member on the subject.