HC Deb 30 April 1897 vol 48 c1352
MR. P. J. POWER (Waterford, E.)

I wish to ask the right hon. Gentleman the Secretary to the Treasury when he proposes to put down the Vote for the Irish Board of Works, and whether he will undertake that the ratepayers of Waterford shall have an opportunity of considering his scheme with regard to the Waterford, Lismore, and Dungarvan Line before the Vote is taken?


No, I do not think I can give any promise, as I understand the 14th has been promised for Irish Votes; but I should be very willing to consult with Irish Members as to whether the Board of Works Vole should be taken on that day or not.

MR. JOHN REDMOND (Waterford)

With regard to the Estimates of the Board of Works, the right hon. Gentleman stated that although Irish Estimates generally came on on the 14th, he will consider the desirability of postponing the Board of Works Estimate to suit the convenience of Irish Members.


Oh, yes. There will be more than one day for Irish Estimates, and, of course, if Irish Members generally wish this Vote to be postponed I shall be glad to do so.


The point is this—whether, as the right hon. Gentleman has stated that it is not likely that any suggestion with regard to the Waterford, Lismore, and Dungarvan Railway will be known before the 14th, he can postpone the Board of Works Estimate until these suggestions are known to the ratepayers?


repeated that he should be willing to do so, if that course were generally desired by Irish Members.