HC Deb 13 March 1896 vol 38 cc880-1
MR. T. M. HEALY (Louth, N.)

I beg to ask the Chief Secretary to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, if he has yet come to any decision affecting the Erasmus Smith Schools?


I have not come to any final decision in connection with this matter. I am still of opinion that, the Judicial Commissioners having failed to agree upon a scheme, it would be desirable that the case of the Erasmus Smith Schools should be submitted to a fresh tribunal. There are, however, difficulties in securing a satisfactory tribunal for the purpose, and, as the information in my possession is to the effect that any plan I might devise would meet with strenuous opposition in this House, I do not think it worth while to proceed further in the matter at present.


Will not the right hon. Gentleman submit the scheme, so that we may see the quarter from which the opposition comes? I am not myself aware of any opposition.


I am aware of opposition; and I would remind the hon. Gentleman that he himself has said that there would be no use introducing the Bill if it were opposed.