HC Deb 25 February 1895 vol 30 cc1468-9
MR. C. BILL (Staffordshire, Leek)

I beg to ask the Secretary of State for War, whether it would be possible for the capitation allowances for Volunteer corps to be paid within the financial year in which they are earned, and thus secure that the receipt and expenditure sides of the annual accounts rendered by Volunteer corps to the War Office should relate to the same period.


In a reply made by the Secretary of State for War last July to the hon. Member for South Gloucestershire he explained that the capitation allowance was given, some time after the formation of the Volunteer corps, as an allowance to meet the expenses of the ensuing year based on the performance of the corps during the past year. It is therefore a payment in advance to the corps. To change the payment to an arrear payment would involve a double charge for one financial year.