HC Deb 07 August 1894 vol 28 c258
MR. BYLES (York, W.R., Shipley)

I beg to ask the President of the Local Government Board whether he is aware that a quantity of common land belonging to Chailey Common, in the County of Sussex, has been enclosed; whether it is the duty of the Sussex County Council to take some action to maintain the rights of the inhabitants; and whether, failing such action on their part, it can be taken by the Local Government Board or the Board of Agriculture?


I have been informed by a correspondent that enclosures have been made on Chailey Common within the past two or three years, but I have no means of verifying this information or of interfering to prevent such enclosures, if they have taken place. I can only state that anything which has been done has not been with the consent of the Board of Agriculture. With regard to the maintenance of rights of common by public authorities I may refer my hon. Friend to the provisions contained in Section 26 of the Local Government Act of last Session, which I trust will be found sufficient to prevent encroachments on, or the illegal enclosure of, commons.


The point I desire to know is whether, in case the County Council refuse to act, there is any duty laid upon the Minister of the Board of Agriculture to act instead?


The Board have no power to take the initiative; that must be taken by the commoners themselves.