HC Deb 23 March 1891 vol 351 cc1659-60

I beg to ask the Secretary of State for the Homo Department whether, without giving a Return, he can state the number of persons now in prison in England and Wales for contempt of Court, the periods for which they have been in prison, and the places and dates of their committal?


I have asked the Prison Commissioners to furnish me with this information, which I will in due course communicate to the hon. Member. I do not, however, propose to include in the Return persons who have been committed by County Court Judges for non-compliance with an order to pay a debt.