HC Deb 03 February 1891 vol 349 c1615
MR. KING (Hull, Central)

I beg to ask the Under Secretary of State for India whether, in view of the continued loss which is being inflicted on Colonels in receipt of Colonel's allowances who have elected to reside in India, by paying them their allowances on retirement, of £1,124 5s. per annum, in rupees at a rate of 2s. ½d. per rupee, whereas the current rate of exchange has for some years ranged below 2s., and lately below 1s. 6d., while, at the same time, all Colonels similarly situated who reside in any other parts of the world are permitted to draw the full amount of £1,124 5s. in England in sterling, the Secretary of State will re-consider previous rulings on the subject, and take steps to remedy the grievance; and whether the loss now amounts practically to a fine of about 5,000 rupees per annum on a retired officer for electing to reside in India?


The Secretary of State in Council has recently decided that an officer, entitled to draw "Colonel's allowances" together with English pay, may, wherever he resides, draw the amount of £660 12s. 5d. together with his English pay from the Home Treasury in London, either personally or by agent.