HC Deb 17 July 1890 vol 347 cc97-8
MR. W. E. GLADSTONE (Edinburgh, Mid Lothian)

I wish to ask the right hon. Gentleman the First Lord of the Treasury when the Bill relating to Heligoland will be taken? I wish also to ask the right hon. Gentleman a question as to Malta and the mission of Sir Lintorn Simmons. That is distinctly a question for discussion on the Colonial Vote, on which it is understood we may ask for information or make any remarks we have to make. I hope he will be able to hold out a prospect of an early day being fixed for that Vote. The question I have referred to is of great interest to the Irish Members, and it would be hard upon them to be kept waiting for the discussion to come on.


The right hon. Gentleman will understand that I am not able to say on what day that Vote will be taken. I hope it may be possible to complete Irish Supply to-morrow, and, in that case, we shall be in a position to forecast the course of public business. On Monday I shall be able, probably, to state when we shall take the Colonial Vote.

MR. J. MORLEY (Newcastle-on-Tyne)

After what hour will the Votes in Class 4 not be taken, and what will be the business on Monday?


Class 4 will not be entered upon after 11 o'clock unless with the concurrence of hon. Members. In regard to the question of the right hon. Gentleman the Member for Mid Lothian, the subject he referred to can be raised, not on the Colonial, but on the Foreign Office Vote. On Monday the Committee on the Housing of the Working Classes Bill, and the Second Reading of the Census Bills will be taken.


The Irish Members have shown that they do not desire to delay the Irish Votes, but I hope the right hon. Gentleman will make arrangements for continuing the Irish Votes on Monday, as on Friday the Secretary to the Treasury will have to make an important statement on the subject of Light Railways.


Her Majesty's Government have set apart a fortnight for the Irish Votes, and other business must be proceeded with on Monday.

MR. MUNDELLA (Sheffield, Brightside)

What is proposed to be done with regard to the Reformatory Schools Bill and the Industrial Schools Bill?


I have already stated that if those Bills are opposed it will not be possible to proceed with them this Session. As several notices of opposition appear on the Paper, I fear they will have to be postponed until next Session. The responsibility for the postponement must rest upon those who have given the notices.


Will the Chief Secretary consent to postpone the Report of Supply on the Land Commission Vote? I refrained from discussing the land purchase branch of the Land Commission yesterday, in order that the Vote might be taken, though I might have talked it out. Under these circumstances, I will ask the Chief Secretary not to take Report of the Land Commission Vote until such time as a reasonable opportunity for further discussion might be available.


I cannot at present say more than that the Report of this Vote will not be taken to-night.