HC Deb 11 July 1890 vol 346 cc1476-7
MR. CHANNING (Northampton, E.)

I beg to ask the First Lord of the Treasury whether, having regard to the fact that it is now acknowledged that the consent of France is necessary before effect can be given to the protectorate of Great Britain over Zanzibar, and that negotiations are now pending between Great Britain and France on this point, Her Majesty's Government will postpone further proceedings as to the Anglo-German Agreement Bill until the negotiations with France are concluded, and the terms on which France will assent to the protectorate are made known?


The question of the hon. Member refers to matters on which communications are going on between Her Majesty's Government and the French Government, and I am, therefore, unable to say anything concerning them. But I am not able to give the undertaking suggested by the hon. Gentleman.