HC Deb 15 August 1889 vol 339 cc1341-2

I beg to ask the President of the Local Government Board to what kinds of regulations and what classes of nuisances the following provision of the Municipal Corporations Act of 1882 and Local Government Act of 1888 applies, if Local Authorities cannot make bye-laws against dangerous overhead wires across public thoroughfares and dangerous barbed wires along public paths:— The council may from time make such byelaws as to them seem meet for the good rule and Government of the borough (or county), and for the prevention and suppression of nuisances not already punishable in a summary manner, and may thereby appoint such fines not exceeding five pounds as they deem necessary.


With respect to nuisances which come within the provisions of Section 23 of the Municipal Corporations Act, it is very rarely that the Local Government are applied to to sanction bye-laws for the suppression of nuisances under the section referred to. One of the most recent cases related to nuisances arising from the burning of bricks or coke within a borough. As regards bye-laws made by a Local Authority for the good rule and government of a borough, these take effect subject to the provisions of the section without any reference to the Board. The Board find from a recent series submitted to the Home Secretary, that they relate to such matters as shouting, &c., for the purpose of hawking goods to the annoyance of the inhabitants, singing or playing any noisy instrument after having been requested to desist on account of illness, loitering about the carriage way or footway of a public street so as to prevent free passage, riotous or indecent behaviour, posting advertisements or handbills on churches, chapels, &c., without the consent of the owner or occupier thereof, &c., &c. Of course, if the Council of any county or borough consider that the circumstances connected with overhead wires, or barbed wire fences, in their district are of such an exceptional character as to bring the case within the provisions of the section as to the good rule and government of the county or borough, it will be open to them to submit bye-laws to the Secretary of State on the subject, who will then give his decision upon the question.


Am I to understand that the right hon. Gentleman will do nothing to prejudge the question?


I am open to consider any bye-law that may be submitted to me.