HC Deb 12 April 1888 vol 324 c1043

asked the Lord Advocate, If his attention has been directed to the case of Peter Gowie, of Perth; and, if he can obtain any redress for his imprisonment, and the wrong he has had?

THE LORD ADVOCATE (Mr. J. H. A. MACDONALD) (Edinburgh and St. Andrew's Universities)

I presume the hon. Member means the case of Peter Gorrie, of Crieff. If so, my attention has been called to it on several occasions. Assuming that any wrong was done to him, I have no power of giving him any redress. He allowed his term of imprisonment to expire before making any complaint; and he did not avail himself of the remedy provided by law by bringing the sentence under review of the Superior Court.