HC Deb 09 June 1887 vol 315 cc1427-8
MR. J. ROBERTS&c.) (Flint,

asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department, Whether the Government have power through the Lord Chancellor, or otherwise if they think fit, to place gentlemen on the Commission of the Peace for Counties, independently of the action of the Lord Lieutenant of the county?


The power of placing gentlemen upon the Commission of the Peace is vested in the Lord Chancellor on behalf of the Crown. The ordinary course is for the Lord Chancellor to act upon the recommendation of the Lord Lieutenant, whose local knowledge and whose position as representative of the Crown in the county point him out as the fittest person to submit names to the Lord Chancellor for his approval.