HC Deb 28 October 1884 vol 293 c353

asked the Financial Secretary to the Treasury, Whether Mr. Fitzgerald has yet completed his survey and valuation of the lands to be relieved by the contemplated drainage works of the Barrow; whether he can state the estimated expense of the works to be executed on the main stream; and, how soon the final Report of Mr. Manning the Engineer may be


I am very sorry to say that in spite of all our efforts we cannot get Mr. Fitzgerald to report, and Mr. Manning's final Report must follow on his. The provisional Estimate for works on the main river only is about £300,000. In view of the delay on the part of the valuator the Treasury communicated with the Irish Government last week as to the expediency of appointing at once a Committee to consider what could be done with the materials in our hand. I have heard to-day by telegraph from the Lord Lieutenant that he agreed to the proposition.