§ MR. RAIKES
asked the Prime Minister, Whether, in the event of military operations on the Red Sea littoral extending beyond the 31st of March—that was, beyond the end of the financial year—the Government proposed to come to the House for a further Vote of Credit?
That is a Question which would be more conveniently put to a Member of the War Department, because he would be able to answer with greater confidence. I limit myself to this—that the money which we are now asking Parliament for is only available to the 31st March. I do not wish to contemplate any possibility of going beyond that.
I was in hope, from the extreme languor which, to say the least of it, characterized the greater part of the debate last night, that a portion of this evening might have sufficed to bring it to a natural death; but I am told that that is not so. If that is the case, I think it would be more for the convenience of those who desire to take part in it that we should not revert to it to-night; and, consequently, we propose to take the Civil Service Estimates to-night, and postpone the other.
They would stand as usual; and if the House finds it worth while to go on with them, they will be proceeded with.
MR. J. LOWTHER
asked if the Prime Minister proposed to take advantage of any opportunity there might be that evening for proceeding with the Contagious Diseases (Animals) Bill?
What we are endeavouring to do is to get the second reading taken by consent. If we could do that, it would be desirable to take it as early as possible.