§ MR. GOSCHEN
said, some anxiety was beginning to be felt with regard to the discussion of the Indian Budget, which would be particularly important 1975 on account of the difficulties there had been with regard to the depreciation of silver. He had been reluctant to ask the Government, seeing how pressed they were with various kinds of business, to give a day for the discussion of the matter, so very important for India; but in consideration of no day having been asked for the discussion of the Report of the Committee on that most important subject he trusted that the right hon. Gentleman would be able to assure the House that the Indian Budget, involving as it would the discussion of the depreciation of silver, would not be postponed too long. He should like also if the right hon. Gentleman would give them any information as to the course of Business next week. It would appear as if the Education Bill would not be taken to-morrow, and there would be great disappointment if the debate on the Eastern Question were not begun on Monday.
§ MR. DISRAELI
No one can be more anxious that I am that the discussion on the Indian Budget—under the peculiar circumstances which now affect the currency—should come on for discussion as soon as possible. I did mention it the other night as one of the main subjects that I contemplated bringing before the consideration of the House. I should hope that we might discuss it under circumstances which will allow of a tolerably full attendance of Members; but it is quite impossible for me to form any opinion as to the progress of Business until the Committee on the Education Bill is closed. When that time arrives I will make a statement to the House as to what I think will be the probable course of Public Business. It was an inadvertence of mine when I stated that we should not proceed with the Education Bill to-morrow. I thought for the moment that this was Friday. We shall proceed with the Education Bill to-morrow morning, if we do not close the Committee to-night. And I trust that on Monday we may approach the discussion of Turkish affairs.
With regard to the contingent intimation that the debate on Turkish affairs may possibly be put off, I do not know that we have any power in the matter. Probably the House is in the hands of the Government. But before the right hon. Gentleman makes any final announcement 1976 on the subject, I hope he will take in view that in consequence of the Notices that have been given by two hon. Gentlemen sitting on that side of the House, the debate on the Turkish question is to assume distinctly and unequivocally the character of a Vote of Confidence in the Government. I cannot think it would be proper to postpone a vote of that character on a subject of so much importance, in order to proceed with the Committee on the Education Bill.
§ MR. DISRAELI
If any Notice of a Vote of Censure on our policy had been given, I certainly should, in any circumstances, have made arrangements to meet it; but as it has taken the more amiable form of a Vote of Confidence, I think, on mature consideration, the general interests of the House require the course which I have announced, and which I think it my duty to follow.