HC Deb 29 April 1873 vol 215 cc1140-1

said, he wished to know, Whether it was the intention of his right hon. Friend (Mr. Bouverie) to proceed with his Motion on this subject, which stood on the Paper for that night? He understood that a new application from Father O'Keeffe was to be brought under the consideration of the Board of Education that day, and the Commissioners were of opinion that it would not be fair to them to discuss the matter until their more recent action in the matter had been brought to the knowledge of the House. He also understood that the Court of Queen's Bench intended to give judgment in the suit pending with Mr. O'Keeffe in the course of a few days, and under these circumstances he trusted that his right hon. Friend would be induced to postpone his Motion.


said, he intended to comply with the request made to him, but only upon the ground first stated by his noble Friend—the renewed application made by Father O'Keeffe to the Board of Education to have the Callan Schools placed upon the roll again. It was desirable that this transaction should be closed before the matter was discussed in that House. He would not, however, admit that his Motion ought to be postponed because the decision of the Court of Queen's Bench had not yet been given. His Motion was confined to the conduct of the Commissioners, and had nothing to do directly with the quarrel between two ecclesiastics or with the judgment of the Court of Queen's Bench, whatever that judgment might be. Under these circumstances, he proposed to postpone his Motion to the 20th May, and hoped by that time that the transaction, as far as the Commissioners were concerned, would be closed, and that the House would be in a state to deal with it. He trusted that the noble Lord would lose no time in laying the further Papers on this subject on the Table of the House.