HC Deb 10 May 1864 vol 175 c260

said, he would beg to ask the First Commissioner of Works, Whether he intends, upon Thursday next, to move the Estimate for the erection of a New National Gallery at Burlington House, and whether he will state the terms upon which the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square is proposed to be given up to the Royal Academy?


said, he did not propose to move on Thursday next the Estimate to which the hon. Gentleman had alluded, inasmuch as it would not have remained long enough on the table to enable hon. Members to consider it. With respect to the other Question, he thought it would be premature to come to any decision as to the terms upon which the National Gallery was proposed to be given up to the Royal Academy, until the House should have had an opportunity of expressing its opinion as to the proposal of erecting the National Gallery upon the site of Burlington House. When that Question had been determined it would be time to decide what ought to be done with the building in Trafalgar Square. As two or three years must elapse between the voting of the Estimate and the completion of the building, it would be unnecessary to settle these terms at the present moment.


said, he wished to know whether there will be any objection to lay on the table a plan of Burlington House and grounds?


said, that he had a plan which he believed he should be able to place in the Library to-morrow. The plan would fully explain to hon. Members what it was proposed to do with regard to the site.


said, he thought that the House ought to be put in possession of more than the ground-plan.


said, he believed that the plan he had referred to would furnish the hon. Gentleman with all the information he required.