HC Deb 17 July 2003 vol 409 c520W
Mr. Godsiff

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what period has to elapse before EU citizens who remain in the UK under the habitual residency test can claim UK benefits. [126826]

Mr. Pond

EU citizens who are living in the United Kingdom are treated the same as United Kingdom citizens in respect of claims for income support, income-based jobseeker's allowance, housing benefit and council tax benefit. However, the habitual residence test limits entitlement to these non-contributory benefits to people with genuine ties to the United Kingdom. There is no set timescale for satisfying the test and each case is considered on its own merits.

Forward to