HC Deb 08 November 1999 vol 337 cc418-9W
Mr. Jim Marshall

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what options are available to visitors to the UK who are refused entry and who have no right of appeal against the decision; what steps are taken to make such visitors and their sponsors in the UK aware of those options before they are required to leave the country; and if it is the practice to stamp passports with a symbol indicating that entry has been refused before the visitor has had the opportunity to exercise such options. [97446]

Mrs. Roche

A person seeking entry as a visitor, but refused leave to enter is informed in writing that they may contact their High Commission or Consul or anyone else they think may be able to help them. A chief immigration officer will consider any representations made before a person's departure. It is normal practice to endorse the passport of a person refused leave to enter at the time the decision is made.