HC Deb 09 November 1998 vol 319 cc54-5W
Mr. Coaker

To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry if he will make a statement on the steps available to an employee to seek redress against an employer who(a) refuses to implement the Working Time Directive and (b) seeks to avoid meeting the employee rights contained in the Working Time Directive. [57718]

Mr. Ian McCartney

[holding answer 4 November 1998]An employee can seek redress against an employer for non-compliance with the Working Time Regulations through two enforcement bodies. The limits (e.g. the weekly working time and night work limits) in the Regulations are enforced by the health and safety enforcing authorities e.g. the Health and Safety Executive and Local Authorities. The entitlements (e.g. the rest periods and breaks and the paid annual leave) are enforced through Employment Tribunals.