HC Deb 05 November 1998 vol 318 c655W
Mr. Waterson

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how local authorities and other agencies could be encouraged, perhaps by changes in the law, to deal more effectively with the problems of street drinking. [58196]

Mr. George Howarth

The Home Office encourages local authorities to adopt, whenever appropriate, a model byelaw which makes it an offence to consume intoxicating liquor in a designated place after being warned by a constable not to do so. We have also implemented the Confiscation of Alcohol (Young Persons) Act 1997, which enables a constable to confiscate alcohol being drunk or intended to be drunk in public by someone who is under-age.

The Anti-Social Behaviour Order and other provisions in the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 will help with specific local problems. Local authorities and the police, with their partners, can include any such problems in the crime and disorder audit which is required under the Act and then go on to develop appropriate strategies for tackling this as part of their overall crime reduction strategy.