§ Lord Brooke of Alverthorpe
asked Her Majesty's Government:
When the response to the United Kingdom Round Table on Sustainable Development's Second Annual Report will be published. [HL744]
§ The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions (Baroness Hayman)
The Government's response to the UK Round Table on Sustainable Development's Second Annual Report has been published today. We have been able to respond positively to many of the Round Table's recommendations and that action has already taken in a number of areas, for example:
- the Government have announced a 10-point plan to help secure reliable, efficient and environmentally sustainable water supplies;
- draft guidelines have been issued to local authorities on meeting their obligations under the Road Traffic Reduction Act 1997;
- the Government have consulted widely on proposals to develop an integrated transport policy and will issue a White Paper in the spring;
- the Government have published a statement on their strategy for modernising the planning system, and a consultation paper on reform of regional planning guidance;
- legislation has been proposed to establish regional development agencies;
- the Government have established a review of renewable energy policy.
The Government value the Round Table's important contribution to the achievement of sustainable development. I am placing copies of the response in the Library.