HC Deb 09 February 1998 vol 306 c27W
Mr. Burstow

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department (1) if he will ensure that crimes committed within care homes are incorporated within the British Crime Survey; [28356]

(2) if he will introduce a category into the British Crime Survey to cover crimes committed against people with learning difficulties who live in residential care homes. [28355]

Mr. Michael

The British Crime Survey (BCS), which the Home Office conducts, is a survey of people living in domestic households in England and Wales. In its present format and structure, it would be inappropriate for the BCS to include offences committed against people who live in residential care homes. This would require a specialist survey. A feasibility study into a possible survey of communal establishments is being undertaken by Social Survey Division of the Office for National Statistics. As yet, no decision has been taken on the types of communal establishment that this would cover, whether victimisation will be covered or the funding arrangements for the survey.

Forward to