§ Ms Dari Taylor
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what key targets have been set for Service Children's Education for 1997–98. 
§ Mr. Spellar
The chief executive has been set the following key targets for 1997–98:
- 1. Exceed UK LEA average of pupils gaining A* to C grades in five or more subjects at GCSE by 2 per cent.
- 2. Exceed UK average percentage pass rate at grades A* to C by 1 per cent.
- 3. Maintain an overall percentage pass rate for GNVQ intermediate level at 91 per cent.
- 4. Exceed UK average pass rate at standard attainment tasks and tests—SATS—at each of ages seven, 11, and 14 in English, Maths and Science by 2 per cent.
- 5. Implement the SCE elements of the MOD scheme(s) for the provision of nursery education overseas from September 1997 for a trial/pilot scheme.
- 6. To achieve a percentage reduction in real terms in pupil per capita costs—measured against total agency resource costs—of 2.5 per cent.
- 7. Achieve an index of satisfaction with service children's education within the Army wives continuous attitude survey above 352.
- 8. Ensure percentage of inquiries and/or requests answered within 10 days of receipt is at least 85 per cent.