HC Deb 24 July 1996 vol 282 cc607-8W
Mr. Alex Carlile

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will list the numbers of reported(a) violent crimes, (b) burglaries and (c) assaults in each Welsh police authority in (i) 1979, (ii) 1985, (iii) 1990, and at the latest available date; and if he will make a statement. [39095]

work carried out by speed cameras in traffic police enforcement. [38132]

Mr. Maclean

Fine income from the enforcement of speeding offences by cameras, like all fine income, goes to the consolidated fund at the Treasury. It is not the Government's general policy to earmark that income to a particular area of expenditure. We believe that the best way to decide among the competing claims on taxpayers' money is to consider each on its merits and set priorities among them.