HC Deb 22 February 1996 vol 272 cc241-2W
Mr. Morley

To ask the Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department what proposals he has to give grandparents a legal right to have access to their grandchildren. [15471]

Mr. Jonathan Evans

Under the Children Act 1989, grandparents can already apply to a court for an order granting them contact with their grandchildren. The leave of the court is usually required to make such an application. In considering any application, the paramount consideration for the court is the welfare and best interests of the child.