§ Mr. Byers
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what properties are owned or leased by his Department for the use of Ministers; what was the total running cost for each property for the latest year available broken down into(a) furniture and fittings, (b) maintenance, (c) staffing, including the number of butlers, cooks and housekeepers, (d) food and hospitality and (e) other costs; what is the estimated value of each property; and how many times in the latest year the property was stayed in overnight by a Minister.
§ Mr. Goodlad
1 Carlton gardens is leased by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office from the Crown Estate Commissioners. This is for the use of my right hon. Friend the Foreign Secretary. It is his official London residence.
The total running costs for 1 Carlton gardens in the financial year 1993–94 were £320,725.
This is broken down as follows:
- (a) Furniture and furnishings £13,750
- (b) Maintenance:
- (i) rent and rates £120,085
- (ii) utilities £16328
- (iii) day to day maintenance (including contract up) £38,255
- (c) and (d)
- (i) no household or catering staff are employed at 1 Carlton gardens. Staff are engaged on an ad hoc basis when official hospitality is provided. Twenty-five functions for a total of 519 guests were held in FY 1993–94. £24,157
- (ii) Messagerial and security staff provided by the FCO. £107,750
- (e) There were no other running costs.
The value of the property is not known; the freehold is owned by the Crown Estate Commissioners. When in London, my right hon. Friend the Foreign Secretary resides at 1 Carlton gardens.