HL Deb 11 July 1994 vol 556 c94WA
Lord Stoddart of Swindon

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What is their policy on the employment of non-European Union citizens resident in the United Kingdom.

Earl Ferrers

Under the Immigration Rules, a non-European Economic Area national—a person who is neither a European Union citizen nor a national of Austria, Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden—who does not have indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom will normally require a work permit for employment in the United Kingdom.