HC Deb 16 February 1994 vol 237 c865W
Mrs. Golding

To ask the Secretary of State for Health how many mentally disturbed children were in adult wards in the last year for which figures are available.

Mr. Bowis

It is a matter for health authorities to determine what arrangements are made locally about admission of children to hospital. However, our advice to purchasers contained in the guidance the "Health of the Nation Key Area Handbook: Mental Illness", a copy of which is in the Library, refers to a range of services which they need to consider so as to meet the needs of children and adolescents and this includes designated in-patient and day patient facilities.