HC Deb 01 November 1993 vol 231 cc47-8W
23. Mr. Alex Carlile

To ask the Secretary of State for Wales if he will give an estimate of the cost to local authorities in Wales of providing homes for young people who have been subjected to physical and/or sexual abuse; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Gwilym Jones

Social services departments in Wales have direct responsibility for the protection of children where they have reasonable cause to suspect that a child is suffering, or is likely to suffer, significant harm. They provide a range of services for such children and their families, including, where necessary, placement away from home. It is not possible therefore to provide information in the form requested.