§ Mrs. Anne Campbell
To ask the President of the Board of Trade if he will publish the criteria by which his Department assesses which energy technologies should receive research and development funding from his Department.
§ Mr. Eggar
My Department is currently carrying out a review of the basis of its support for science, technology, and innovation. Pending the outcome of that review, the aims of the Department in funding R and D into energy technologies remain broadly as they were for the former Department of Energy:
- (a) to support work which would not otherwise be undertaken on an appropriate timescale or to the necessary extent to:
- (i) contribute to the maximum economic exploitation of the United Kingdom's energy resources;
- (ii) establish and develop economic options for energy supply and distribution;
- (iii) enable the Department to carry out its statutory and regulatory responsibilities;
- (b) to encourage United Kingdom industry to develop capabilities, services, and technologies which will enable them to compete successfully in energy markets;
- (c) to ensure the effective dissemination of the results of R and D work.