§ Mr. Bernie Grant
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will list those Acts passed by Parliament since 1979 concerning(a) local government finance and (b) local authority duties, powers and responsibilities for authorities in England.
§ Mr. Key
My right hon. Friend the then Minister for Local Government and the Inner Cities gave a list on 4 May 1990 of 124 public general Acts of Parliament, passed between June 1970 and November 1989, which affected 55W local authorities in England, distinguishing those which concern, at least in part, local government finance, Official Report, Vol. 171, column 676. Since November 1989, public general Acts which affect local government in England include:
- Aviation and Maritime Security Act 1990
- Broadcasting Act 1990
- Education (Student Loans) Act 1990
- Entertainments (Increased Penalties) Act 1990
- Environmental Protection Act 1990
- Food Safety Act 1990
- National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990
- Pensions (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1990
- Planning (Consequential Provisions) Act 19901
- Planning (Hazardous Substances) Act 19901
- Planning (Listed Buildings & Conservation Areas) Act 19901
- Representation of the People Act 1990
- Rights of Way Act 1990
- Town and Country Planning Act 19901
- Caravans (Standard Community Charge and Rating) Act 19912
- Community Charges (General Reduction) Act 19912
- Community Charges (Substitute Setting) Act 19912
- 1 Consolidation Act.
- 2 Concerns local government finance.
Not all these Acts resulted from Government Bills.
§ Mr. Hinchliffe
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will allow local authorities to spend all their capital receipts.
§ Mr. Key
Local authorities are able to spend the usable part of their capital receipts on new capital expenditure or on the repayment of their debt. They also retain use of the reserved part of their receipts to repay debt or to finance capital expenditure covered by a credit approval; meanwhile, the funds may be invested in approved investments.
Reductions for couples under 1991–92 Community Charge Reduction Scheme Set Charge (taking account of £140 reduction) Reductions from the set charges payable by a couple (a) (b) £ £ £ Charnwood Borough 257 85 210 Melton Borough 250 95 212 Rutland District 254 52 187