HL Deb 26 July 1990 vol 521 c1791WA
Earl Russell

asked Her Majesty's Government:

What legal redress is open to those annoyed in their own homes (a) by noise from domestic radios and gramophones (b) by licensed open-air concerts and music festivals.

Lord Strathclyde

People disturbed in their home by any domestic noise or licensed open air concert or music festival can report the matter to the environmental health department of the local authority which can take action against noise nuisance under the provisions of the Control of Pollution Act 1974. Alternatively, people may apply direct to a magistrates' court under the provisions of that Act for a noise abatement order to be served. These possible courses of action are in addition to the right to pursue civil proceedings under common law.