§ Lord Fisher
asked Her Majesty's Government:
For each year since the implementation of the Zoo Licensing Act 1981:
- (a) the number of zoos that have been inspected and have had licences granted;
- (b) the number of zoos that have been inspected and which have been refused licences;
- (c) the number of zoos that have appealed against licence refusal and the outcome of those appeals; and
- (d) the number of zoos which have been granted a dispensation to continue without a licence.
The Earl of Caithness
The Zoo Licensing Act 1981 came into operation in April 1984. Since then:
- (a) the number | of zoos inspected and for which local authorities have granted licences have been, in 1984, 10; 1985, 137; 1986, 26; and in 1987, 25;
- (b) five zoos which were inspected in 1985 were refused licences;
- (c) two zoos appealed against the refusal of licences: one appeal was not allowed and the other withdrawn;
- (d) the number of dispensations granted by the department has been, in 1984, 12; 1985, 38; 1986, 16; and in 1987, 6.