HC Deb 12 November 1987 vol 122 c295W
Mrs. Mahon

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Services if he will monitor the means by which social service departments make available student placements to social work students in polytechnics and universities.

Mr. Newton

Monitoring the availability of practice placements is not a matter on which we propose to take action. It is best dealt with by those with a direct involvement in social work education — the Central Council for Education and Training in Social Work, the social worker training centres and the employers. CCETSW has promoted a new examination of how to secure practice placements of good quality through the recent publication of its discussion document "Accreditation of Agencies and Practice Teachers in Social Work Education".